Thursday, January 14, 2010

Decorations Galore

Since we're getting married in December, we wanted to have a Christmas like theme without having an over the top Christmas wedding extravaganza! We chose black and silver as our primary colors with red accents. Right after we got engaged, the plan was to hit up all the after Christmas sales for some good deals. We hit the jackpot and several places, namely Hobby Lobby, Target, Wal-Mart and Pier 1. We didn't pay full price for anything and almost everything was 50% off. I'm most proud of my Pier 1 purchases though, we got a whopping 75% off! For now I have everything stored at my Mom's house and to keep track of things, we organized everything last weekend and I took pictures of what we've purchased thus far. Here we go:
These "sticks" will be spraypainted (probably black) and will be arranged in vases with Christmas ornaments.
Speaking of ornaments.....
Lights!
The red candle holders will go in the windows to the entrance to cathedral. The silvery things in the bin are miniature wreaths that we will place on the table and place an ornament in it. On the ornament itself, we'll attach some kind of sentiment thanking people for attending our wedding. These will be the wedding favors!
The red boxes towards the back are snowflake picture holders that we will use to hold table numbers. We'll spray paint the red and green picks to use in the centerpieces and the red birds will probably be used on the Christmas trees.
Just a few different accents to be placed on tables ie. gift table, food table etc. See those 3 trees in the back? Paid less than $5 bucks a piece at Pier 1, they were originally $20!
Ribbon, lots of ribbon! I'll explain later why! And those cones? Yeah I'll explain those later too!
Out of all my purchases, I'm probably most happy with these. Two 7 foot pre-lit Christmas trees that were 50% off at Wal-Mart after Christmas. Two for the price of 1? Yes please! And see those tree skirts? Those were originally $65 a PIECE! After the 75% off sale at Pier 1? About $17 each! My favorite part of the tree skirts are the little red birds in the design which matches perfectly with the other bird aspects I plan to include in the wedding. And as you can see, my Mom's dog Maggie was pretty pumped too! :)
Total spent? Less than $400! If we'd have paid full price we would have spent upwards of a $1000. The good thing about a lot of the stuff we purchased, is it can be used after the wedding as home decor. I'm pretty proud of myself :) In my next post, I'll explain how I intend to use some of these goodies!

2 comments:

Ashley Hlavaty said...

I like all your decorations! It's going to be beautiful!

Imaginale Design said...

Ok -- get this. I also went to Michael's and saw all these sales (thought about your post :) BUT then they had all these Valentine's and Easter stuff. Why did I freak out?! Because the colors they were using were red & teal!! = wedding colors!

I ended up coming home with mini-teal lanterns, mini-red frames, and little treat bags to use for our favors. I would have liked to have waited for the "after-Valentine's" sale -- but I didn't want to risk them being cleaned out since the stock isn't as great as the Christmas items.

But I am definitely hitting up those stores after Valentine's for any left over RED items (like candle votives!).