This morning around 9:30 I get a call from Taylor. Immediately I can tell that something is wrong. He then tells me that he was sleeping and all of a sudden his cat Tupac jumps off the bed and starts making these weird cat sounds. He shrugged it off and then all of a sudden his bed was shaking. He looked up and saw my baby Coco shaking violently. He tried to calm her down and tried to get her to stand up. Her back legs wouldn't move at all. He then called me to see what I wanted to do and then he loaded the Cokes up so that we could take her to the vet.We get to the vet and find out that they do surgeries on Friday mornings and we'd have to bring her back at 3:00. We then load her back into the car and they dropped me back off at work.
All day I was stressing about my baby. Coco means the world to me. I've had her almost 6 years and she's been by my side through all sorts of trials and tribulations. Guys have come and gone, but my Coco has been with me to comfort me and to bring me joy. She knows when I'm sad and she knows when I'm happy. She's literally the best dog and is super smart. I didn't have to really potty train her, kennel train her or anything of the sort. She taught herself. When she wants something, she sits up like a bear on her hind legs, to which earned her the nickname Circus Bear from Taylor. Needless to say, I was a wreck today.
I started reading online about seizures in dogs and had pretty much figured out from what Taylor described that she had a seizure. So later today, Taylor comes by to get me and we take Coco to the vet. My concerns were confirmed and she did in fact have a seizure. The vet assured us that she'd be okay and from what we told him she may have epilepsy. He said that the seizures could be few and far between and that we really shouldn't worry unless she's having them frequently. He warned that if this became the case we could always put her on epilepsy medication but that it could possibly cause liver damage and it may change her personality.
That in itself scares me. My Coco has a personality unlike any other dog I've known. I call her my human dog because she acts more like a human than a dog. All I can do is pray that she'll be okay and I hope that you guys will keep her in your thoughts as well. She's returned back to normal as if nothing happened, so I just hope that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
Here are a few of my favorite pictures of my baby girl...








7 comments:
Jenn!! :( :( I'm so sorry. I will definitely keep Coco in my prayers. What a beautiful relationship you have with her and I'm sure she feels your love. Like you said, she is something special -- better than your average dog -- so she will definitely get through this! *hug*
Oh Jenn, I'm sorry. I hope that your baby will be okay.
We have been thinking about you guys and Coco all weekend! Let us know if we can do anything!
awwww! I've been in that situation before with Doc and I totally know how it feels so I can relate entirely. I will pray for Coco and you and know I'm here if you need anything!
Jen~ I am so sorry that you are going through this with Coco. Mr. Big (my yorkie) has epilepsy, he was prescribed phenobarbital a few months ago.
Jon and I decided not to put Big on the medication yet. If you ever want to talk, I am certainly available. It scared the absolute shite out of me when I saw his first seizure.
I am sure Coco is doing great :) and I hope they are super few & extremely far between!
So sorry to hear about your dog!
It's so funny that you're in Lubbock... I'm back in Denver now, but Jordi lives in Lubbock all the time. Maybe y'all will run into each other sometime- haha!
Love the wedding plans, by the way! I LOVE those lollipop cones by Martha Stewart... just waiting for the occasion to use them! :)
Hey Jenn- Just reading about your sweet labbie:)
Epilepsy is pretty common in labradors...I see it all the time. And wanted to let you know that the vast majority of cases do great!! In fact, if she has only had one seizure sounds like she's doing great. Just watch for additional ones and be sure and mark them on the calendar.
p.s.- if you have to end up putting her on epileptic meds don't stress. I also have a lot of patients on them and the biggest side effect is mild sedation- of course we monitor liver values if they are on them but the personality change is very rare...
I'm sure Miss Coco will be just fine;)
Post a Comment