Monday, January 5, 2009

And just like that....the holidays are over

One thing that is really great about working for Tech is the time off. My last day of work for 2008 was December 22 and my first day back was today. The majority of that break was spent in Southlake, but I'll get to that a little later.

We left for Lamesa on the 23rd and stayed until early Christmas morning. We had a great time with my family and had lots of fun playing with my Aunt's new Wii. Let's just say that Wii boxing isn't as easy as it looks!

One of my family traditions is each person draws someone's name and they have to make that person a gift. We all got a good laugh when my sister cut out pictures of the Jonas Brothers and replaced the oldest brother's face with my Uncle George's face. Underneath the photos it read, "By popular demand, Kevin Jonas has been replaced by the other brother, George Jonas." HILARIOUS! :)


We left for Southlake at 7:00 Christmas morning, and as soon as we got there we opened presents and went to the movies to see Marley and Me. I read the book last summer and when I heard the movie was being made, Taylor and I read it together since he'd never read it. He loved it as much as I did so we were both excited about the movie. The movie was good, but not as good as the book. I know, I know movies are rarely better than books. On a separate occasion, we went to see Yes Man and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The latter was an AMAZING movie. I highly recommend watching it, but remember to potty before the movie starts, it's a 3 hour movie so you may find yourself squirming in your seat wondering if the movie is almost over. I'm not speaking from experience, I just noticed a bunch of people squirming and used deductive reasoning!

Since we were in Southlake for about a week, we had to find things to do to occupy our time. We took Taylor's family dogs Tanner and Murphy along with my sweet Coco to to a nearby park. Murphy is a golden doodle (half golden retriever half poodle) and is pretty much my second favorite dog....of course Coco being my fave!




The Cotton Bowl signaled the nearing of the end of the vacation. Unfortunately this obviously didn't turn out the way we wanted it to. We got stuck in traffic, stood in a mass crowd of people trying to get into the game (apparently there were only about 5-9 ticket takers to accomodate thousands of people!)had to watch the crappy Ole Miss fans in their blazers (for guys) and high heels and short skirts (for girls) reapeatedly yell derogatory things (one young girl called my sweet 50 year old co-worker trailer trash to her face while another young guy in a blazer pushed an older gentleman in Tech gear into the stands after merely passing by him in a walkway ....don't worry about 7 Tech fans rose to this man's defense and pushed the guy and made him go back to the Ole Miss section). As if this wasn't enough, on the way back to Southlake, we got rear ended. Yeah, it was one of those kind of days...


Overall though, we had a great Holiday and were ready to return to Lubbock. I'll close with a pic of Coco sitting in the back seat of Taylor's PACKED CR-V. She was ready to be home too! Hope you guys had a great holiday!

2 comments:

Ryan and Deminy... said...

So, I've tried to email you twice now. I hope you gotten them. If not, we may have to resort to blogging. Hey that's "work," right?

Sarah said...

Jenn! It's lovely to hear from you! Thanks so much for checking out my blog -- yours is so much cooler. I need some tips. I loved reading all about your holidays. Hope to see you and Taylor soon!