Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ahhh, the Holidays.....



So this year has been quite the change from last year. Last year around the holidays Taylor and I had just started dating, so celebrating the holidays apart from each other wasn't a big deal. Fast forward to this year and dividing up time during the holidays became and issue. In the past I was lucky enough to date someone from Lubbock and since I'm from Lamesa, we were able to see both families all in the same day! I've never been away from my family during the holidays....except for this past Thanksgiving.

Since Taylor is from Southlake, which is obviously more than an hour away from Lamesa, we decided that we would spend Thanksgivng with his family and then alternate every year. My first Thanksgiving away from my family was a little tougher than I thought it would be. I'm used to celebrating with at least 15 people (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents etc)and including me there were 5 of us at Taylor's.

On Thanksgiving morning, Taylor's mom was out running errands, Taylor and his dad were outside hanging Christmas lights and Taylor's brother was still asleep while I sat on their couch alone, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Tradition in my family is to watch the parade with my little cousins Katarina and Mickaela. As I sat there alone, I let my emotions get the best of me and I started to cry! I feel pretty silly about it now, but like I said, this was my first time away from my family.

For Christmas though, we are celebrating with my family Christmas Eve and then driving out early Christmas morning to Southlake. I'm not looking forward to the drive, but we really don't have much of a choice. We will spend New Year's with some friends in Dallas and then my present to Taylor for Christmas is Cotton Bowl tickets. Yay, go Tech!

So in closing, I'll leave you with some pictures of our silly cats who thought our Christmas tree was their own personal jungle gym. At first their climbing warranted adorable pictures to be taken but now my tree looks downright sad as they have damaged several of the limbs. There is much truth in the saying that cats are untrainable, but by golly Taylor and I have been trying to keep the kitties out of my Christmas tree!




And lastly, I can't forget about my sweet Coco....she's the good one! :)

No comments: