It’s proven, kids and adults alike are scared of clowns. This article proves it! I was a child of the 80’s, which was around the time birthday parties at McDonald’s were the IN thing to do, (well at least in my small town!) During this time “The Bozo Show” was also really popular, (I’ll get into that later!) and I watched that show on a regular basis. I’ve never necessarily been afraid of clowns, except for that evil clown from Poltergeist that hid under the kid’s bed. As a kid I
happened upon someone in my family watching that movie and it just so happened that I walked into the room during the clown scene. What’s even creepier is someone gave me a clown that looked almost exactly like the one in the movie that my Mom had sitting in a wicker chair in my room. After I saw that movie I got rid of that thing. I mean really, who buys this thing for a kid!
In Lamesa if you had a party at McDonalds, one of the perks was you were entitled to the services of having a “happy” McDonald’s employee don the 1 clown costume that all employees shared. As a teenager, my Aunt Doris worked at McDonalds and wore said costume on more than one occasion. As you can imagine, she made a kid or two cry…why?? Because kids are afraid of clowns!
Now onto the Bozo Show. Bozo was one of the meanest clowns on T.V., now if you are a huge
Bozo fan, then don’t read this paragraph. As a kid, I dreamed about attending the Bozo show solely to play the Grand Prize Game. I TOTALLY imagined myself throwing that ping pong ball all the way into the last bucket and having Cookie bring out a shiny new bike just for me. The truth is Bozo always made that damn game look so easy and kids rarely ever won that shiny new bike. Thanks a lot Bozo….for NOTHING! If you remember, at the end of the show Bozo always told Cookie that he could lead the parade with the “special” baton if he competed in a task and won against Bozo. As expected, Cookie NEVER won and NEVER got to lead the parade. However, on one glorious day Bozo screwed up the task and alas, Cookie won! As a kid I remember looking at Bozo’s face like, whoopsies I screwed that one up and there was nothing that Bozo could do to redeem himself because the crowd was ecstatic that Cookie won! In your face Bozo!!
happened upon someone in my family watching that movie and it just so happened that I walked into the room during the clown scene. What’s even creepier is someone gave me a clown that looked almost exactly like the one in the movie that my Mom had sitting in a wicker chair in my room. After I saw that movie I got rid of that thing. I mean really, who buys this thing for a kid!In Lamesa if you had a party at McDonalds, one of the perks was you were entitled to the services of having a “happy” McDonald’s employee don the 1 clown costume that all employees shared. As a teenager, my Aunt Doris worked at McDonalds and wore said costume on more than one occasion. As you can imagine, she made a kid or two cry…why?? Because kids are afraid of clowns!
Now onto the Bozo Show. Bozo was one of the meanest clowns on T.V., now if you are a huge
Bozo fan, then don’t read this paragraph. As a kid, I dreamed about attending the Bozo show solely to play the Grand Prize Game. I TOTALLY imagined myself throwing that ping pong ball all the way into the last bucket and having Cookie bring out a shiny new bike just for me. The truth is Bozo always made that damn game look so easy and kids rarely ever won that shiny new bike. Thanks a lot Bozo….for NOTHING! If you remember, at the end of the show Bozo always told Cookie that he could lead the parade with the “special” baton if he competed in a task and won against Bozo. As expected, Cookie NEVER won and NEVER got to lead the parade. However, on one glorious day Bozo screwed up the task and alas, Cookie won! As a kid I remember looking at Bozo’s face like, whoopsies I screwed that one up and there was nothing that Bozo could do to redeem himself because the crowd was ecstatic that Cookie won! In your face Bozo!! 
Ever heard of Insane Clown Posse? Now I love music of all kinds, but Insane Clown Posse absolutely weirded me out. Yes it’s nice to have a gimic, but to paint your face like a clown? Already been done yo, anyone remember that little band who goes by the name of Kiss? I mean do you really think the rap/rock community is going to listen to a couple of white guys who paint their face like clowns (which as stated people generally dislike!) and attempt to rap? At least Eminem got it right….
Clowns have also been the focus of movies, mostly movies that scare the beegeesus out of people like Stephen King’s It, Poltergeist and Killer Clowns from Outer Space. I once knew of a bachelor party where the best man told the groom-to-be that he was taking care of the “entertainment.” Little did the groom-to-be know that the entertainment he had arranged was a clown named “Sparkles.” Suffice to say the groom-to-be was not amused. I however thought it was the best idea…EVER!
So what exactly have we learned today? Kids and adults HATE clowns! So if you are thinking of a profession where you can make some extra money on the side, go mow a lawn or clean a house. Besides, balloon making is a dying art anyway….
So what exactly have we learned today? Kids and adults HATE clowns! So if you are thinking of a profession where you can make some extra money on the side, go mow a lawn or clean a house. Besides, balloon making is a dying art anyway….




2 comments:
I actually had a friend who liked ICP, he's a bit different. Oh well, I hate clowns, yeah, maybe due to the Poltergeist movie, and a couple other movies as well. Love the topic!
I, too, despise clowns and actually had a string of nightmares about them when I was a little girl. There is something so disturbing about that big painted smile when you don't really know what is going on underneath the makeup.
Post a Comment